Has potential, but still far from perfect (IMHO)
When I get defeated, I can't seem to find any replay button. Even if you said adding better sounds and graphics would significantly slow down or affect the game somehow, I would still strongly insist you push through with them. Or at least try incorporating 8-bit kinda sounds for a classic feel if you really have no other choice. You really should look for a way to achieve this without compromising the playability of the game.
Why use a block?
The game itself was pretty good, but the concept is really nothing new. It has a certain amount of playability to it, and I can really see some potential. But it was just like playing super mario, only it was simplified... literally (you actually control a bouncing, jumping piece of block). Perhaps a ball would have been more convincing. Better yet, I can see a ball having to bounce through all those obstacles that you made, but some with sloping terrain so it would slip and therefore provide the game with more challenge. Just a suggestion. It would be interesting to see another improved version of this from you.
There will be soon, because im working on 2 projects at teh moment.
Before everything else, I would just like to make things clear to everyone "reviewing" flash submissions:
1. Everybody has the right to review and criticize any flash submission here at NGs whether or not they end up liking or hating it - even if given the fact that they were warned not to watch it. It's a free world. Nobody is there to stop them anyway. So to all you kiddies who still don't get the point, then you'll just have to deal with it.
2. You don't say hateful and silly things such as "stupid ass christians" or "damn christians" in reviews unless you're pretty stupid enough yourself knowing that this isn't ethical. Constructive criticisms are needed, if you wanna cuss and curse then do it somewhere else. If you want your personal opinions to be heard or just wanna make a flame war then there's always the BBS. This is NOT a forum.
3. If you actually think your insults will make people understand your opinions then think again. If you still think otherwise, then there's a huge world out there... let's see you try the same approach in the real world. See how you'll fair with that kinda attitude.
If you still don't get it then I recommend this yellow book called "Morals and Ethics for Dummies". Maybe it will help fill out the space your parents left out when you were a kid.
Okay now for the review.
Graphics was okay.. I can see there was attention to character detail and there is a bit of art incorporated here though somewhat vague. Sounds were a bit annoying really... though I think it was meant to make the whole "game" a bit wacky. There's nothing new with the style, you can see similar ones in different flash submissions all over Ngs. It was pretty violent though.. obviously. No wonder there were people who liked it, coz there will always be people out there waiting for a good bash at someone. It was Jesus in this case. Comeon, what's wrong with the picture here?
Now for the "Humor". Obviously it was meant to be a tool for blasphemy as the author is a "blasphemer" himself. So I can understand the whole point of the "game". But is that justification enough to bash on religion and religious personas? Personally, I didn't find the whole thing funny.
It was quite alarming really how it was "fun" for some people here. Regardless of whether you believe in religion or not, the issue here becomes a moral one. You don't show kids these things unless there's really something wrong with you there in the nut.
I would dub this as immorality, hatred, and perhaps maybe even evil in the guise of "fun and humor". Why were there so many religious and non-religious people offended when the whole thing was supposed to be funny? And why directly target kids to view this?
This flash could have been fun, but not really because of all the offensive and hateful content. That ultimately killed the game's playability and integrity.
Good, but try removing those annoying chokepoints
The game was really challenging. It really makes you wanna finish each level and eventually the entire game (yes all 30 levels). The challenge factor makes the game really fun and addictive. In short it was really good... well it was ALMOST perfect...
1. As we can all see, some levels were pretty hard... harder than they should be. I noticed a few "chokepoint" levels where a lot of people get stuck. Like for example, lvls. 10-14 was fairly challenging yet when it comes to lvl. 15, the difficulty factor drastically increases and becomes a bit too hard to figure out for the average player like me. Then after finishing that level, 16-20 was almost a breeze with perhaps an average of 1-2 tries per level. The question is, why not move lvl. 15 in a much higher level? Why put levels with much harder difficulty ratings in between easier ones? It could be somewhat annoying you know.
2. I agree that even if music and sounds aren't really major factors in the game, it wouldn't hurt to add a few good sound effects and background music. It is said that music afterall inspires and stimulates the mind. You'll never know when "inspirational" music can be useful in this game.
3. You could try adding a bit more levels beyond 30 or maybe perhaps bonus levels, the addiction factor really kicks in even after finishing the game. I was definitely (and desperately) looking for more!
Good, but you can still improve the game physics
It was pretty good compared to the latter versions, but I couldn't stress out much further how crucial it is to really get the physics of the game to work the way it should. I think the key to the success of a game such as this is a good balance and relationship between human intuition, perception, and game physics. The ability of the game to actually deliver the correct movements according to how the player thinks it would react must be taken into real consideration. In other words, it should be pretty realistic motion-wise.
Another thing is the AI of the opponent. But its doin okay so far in that department so nothing much to add there, but to improve it as much as you can.
Graphics and sound ain't much of a big factor here in my opinion, but it still does help make things way cooler.
Overall it was good, but it still can use a bit of improvement. Keep it up!
Cool! I have a suggestion though...
One thing I've noticed was that I got all hyped up into playing the game in an instant... like... wham! Simple as it may be, its ability to immediately deliver the gore factor I was looking for produced the game's longevity factor. In other words I think it keeps people into the game for as long as it lasts.
Butchering (or getting butchered by) the zombies by bulk was a great idea, and it was rather stimulating. I think it was a major factor and perhaps the very life of the game.
Thus... I suggest adding a panic button. Something which could be used like once or twice when all those zombies manage to completely surround you. Like maybe perhaps the character uses a grenade... imagine the gore factor of that! Or he uses a chainsaw or some sorta blade weapon to hack everything beside him. Imagine the adrenaline rush! All that with a push of a panic button, perhaps with a right-click or the space bar.
Just a suggestion =) Great game!
Sweet game man! Not perfect, but doesn't matter coz I really enjoyed it! I would like to see the game evolve into something we all wouldn't expect. I'm not necessarily talking about better graphics or sound, yeah that would be cool too, but the playability itself could be improved on. Perhaps weapons and armor could be bought as well as the skill and level of the player can increase as the game progresses. Maybe a nice plot and setting would help too, like you could visit different towns and arena in different places ofa certain map. Yeah I know I'm goin way overboard here, but I could really see the game's potential coz personally I'd hate to see it end here. I know it would take a lot of work, but I can see through this game that you are capable of seeing it through.
You are right, and be sure, once the combat system is developed, one day I am going to expand the game substantially.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.